Psychologist License Requirements in Hawaii

The Hawaii Board of Psychology, a part of Hawaii Professional and Vocational Licensing, regulates psychologists who provide health services within the state ( Licensure as a psychologist is dependent on education, examination, and postdoctoral practice.

Featured Programs:

Select a Hawaii Psychologist License topic below…

Psychologist Education Requirements in Hawaii

A prospective health services psychologist must complete a doctoral degree through a program that is either 1) accredited by the American Psychological Association, or APA, or 2) housed in a regionally accredited institution and in alignment with the Board’s educational standards.

Click Here to learn more about psychology education options based on your current educational attainment.

The Hawaii Board requires at least three semester hours of credit in each of the following areas:

  • History and systems of psychology
  • Research methodology and design
  • Statistics and psychometrics
  • Scientific and professional standards

Six graduate semester hours are required in each of the following areas:

  • The biological basis of behavior: This content area may include sensation and perception, neuropsychology, psychopharmacology, and comparative psychology.
  • The cognitive-affective basis of behavior: This content area comprises emotion, motivation, thinking, and learning.
  • The social basis of behavior: Group processes, community psychology, social psychology, and systems theory would fall into this content category.
  • Individual differences: Human development, personality development, and psychopathology are covered under this standard.
  • Individual assessment and psychodiagnosis: Content may include personality assessment, intellectual assessment, and behavior assessment.
  • Intervention and treatment: Adult and/or pediatric interventions may be covered.
    Hawaii considers 1.5 quarter hours to be the equivalent of one semester hour.
    The doctoral program must include 1,900 hours of internship.

Hawaii Post-graduate Supervised Practice

Hawaii requires an additional 1,900 hours of post-graduate supervised practice. Hours may be earned in an APA-accredited internship or in another residency or internship program that provides organized training in health services. In most cases, the supervisor must be licensed or board certified through the ABPP. If the supervisor graduated before 1970 and is listed with the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, an exception may be made.

While meeting supervision requirements, the trainee will use a title like ‘psychology resident’ that indicates to the public that psychology licensure is not held.

Examination Requirements for Psychologists in HI

Candidates must pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). After the Board reviews application materials and determines eligibility, candidates will be allowed to register through the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (

The examination is administered via computer on an ongoing basis. The only Hawaii site is in Oahu. However, candidates are allowed to schedule their exams in other jurisdictions if they prefer. Candidates should be prepared to submit a $600 fee upon registration. The Authorization to Test (ATT) will grant a 60 day testing window. An additional fee will be due to the testing company; currently, this is about $80.

Candidates will be sent examination results approximately 15 business days after testing.

The Application Process – Hawaii

In Hawaii, a prospective psychologist applies for licensure after all requirements except the national board examination have been met. Forms and publications are available on the Professional and Vocational Licensing site.

The licensing agency requires transcripts and a photocopy of the doctoral degree itself. Graduates of programs that were not APA-accredited must fill out a training form, outlining which courses met which core requirements.

Documentation of internship and post-doctoral practice is to be attached to the applications; supervisors will need to fill out the verification forms and have them notarized.

License verification, if required, is to be sent directly from the state of licensure. The candidate fills out the top portion and sends it to the licensing agency along with any fee that may be required. There is a $50 nonrefundable application fee; licensing fees will be assessed later.

Out-of-State Psychologists

There are multiple paths that out-of-state psychologists can take to demonstrate that they meet standards at the level Hawaii requires.

Psychologists who hold either a Certificate of Professional Qualifications in Psychology (CPQ) through the ASPPB or a psychology credential through the National Register of Health Service Providers have a separate, shorter application. Official verification is to come straight from the issuing organization; addresses are provided in the application packet.
An out-of-state psychologist with current licensing may apply by examination waiver. The ASPPB can provide a score transfer.

A Canadian or U.S. psychologist may apply to the Hawaii Board as a senior psychologist regardless of whether licensure was based on passing the EPPP; it is necessary to demonstrate a doctoral degree and a discipline-free record.

Diplomate status through the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) is also accepted as evidence of meeting Hawaii’s standards.

Note: Hawaii does not require candidates to demonstrate evidence of post-graduate supervised practice if they were enrolled in APA- or regionally accredited doctoral programs by the beginning of 1986 — so long as they meet other state standards.

International Psychologists transferring to HI

An internationally educated psychologist may be licensed if credentials are judged similar; the Alaska Board defers to the University of Hawaii in determining equivalency.

Temporary Permits

The Board issues temporary permits to out-of-state psychologists who wish to practice in Hawaii for a limited portion of the year. Such psychologists must be licensed on the basis of similar standards in their own jurisdictions.

A temporary permit authorizes up to 90 days of practice; this is the maximum allowed in a year unless the Board chooses to authorize an extension.

Psychologists Who Are Not Regulated by the Board of Psychology

In some cases, persons employed outside the health arena may call themselves psychologists on the basis of other credentials. Industrial/ occupational psychologists who do not provide direct services register but do not seek licensing. They must have doctoral degrees but do not have to meet all the requirements that licensees do.
School psychologists, though required to hold credentialing, fall under separate jurisdiction.

Contact Information and Additional Resources

If you are still in High School, hold a High School Diploma/GED, hold a bachelor’s degree, or hold a master’s degree check out suggested steps to take along the path to becoming a Licensed Psychologist in Hawaii.

Candidates with questions about licensing may call (808) 586-3000. There are additional toll-free phone numbers for Hawaii residents who live on neighboring islands (

The Hawaii Psychological Association is an additional professional resource, but does not handle licensing matters.